What do you see yourself doing when you are 80 years old, what is important to you?

Lately I've been spending a lot of time thinking about what I want out of life. 

I've spent primarily the last 10 years of my life telling myself I will have more in the future, recently I've found myself regressing a bit. I've gone from, I will have more in my future, to I want more now. Although this disillusion that more things will bring me happiness I can't help but feel like this hope of a better tomorrow is what keeps me going. I think I've felt like a warrior for too long, like I've been fighting an unrealistic battle with everyone and everything on this planet, that is to say I will never win. I keep wanting more, I want to continue having a happy life with my spouse, I want a home, a wedding and a child. But the more I desire and set out to accomplish these goals, the more I see myself pushing away my spouse, the more I see myself putting barriers in my way.

If I'm lucky enough to make it to 80 years old...

I see myself gardening, painting, writing, singing horribly, kissing and hugging my grandchildren, baking treats I probably shouldn't eat, and still being in love with Darryl.
I see myself content at 80 years old, the things that will be important to me will be the people and the things I have worked for, not the things that I want.

I guess that's the lesson... Will the choices I make today ultimately lead me to being a happy 80 year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment